Apple iTunes

Talkin all things American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With The Stars and other QUALITY Reality and Drama TV!

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Friday Night Lights - Leave No One Behind


Amazing performances this episode from Matt (Zach Gilford) and Smash (Gaius Charles), in particular, but some great turns by Landry (Jesse Plemons), Julie (Aimee Teegarden), well the whole cast as USUAL! Here are some of the highlights.

To start off Coach Taylor has some words of inspiration for the team:


"Smash IS suspended for three games. THIS is about more than just football gentlemen. It's about adversity and how we stand up to it."


"Noone said they were going to hand us the playoffs. What we are gonna do is we are gonna WORK, we are gonna ADJUST, and we are gonna WORK some more. We are gonna take adversity, and we are gonna ride that ASSET all the way to the damn playoffs. Let's get to work."

And boy, this episode was all about adversity. Smash is trying to make the best of a bad situation, but things continue to decline for him. TMU has rescinded their scholarship offer based on what they called his questionable character. The scenes where Smash shows the letter to Coach, "this is my future",


and with his Mamma, "So, you want to tell me I told you so?" were pretty powerful. Mamma: "No. I just want to let you know I love you... and I believe in you".


Then, his final turn giving a pep talk to the team before the game, "This could be the last team I ever play for", and "Remember, we are The Dillon Panthers - State Champions!", hit home for him as well:


Matt continues to reel from Carlotta's sudden departure, skipping school and practice, and in the end, turning to Riggins for solice, who we know is the master at drowning his sorrows in a bottle:


Coach Taylor gives Matt some leaway until he is called to the hospital because Matt is too drunk to drive his grandmother home after she bumps her head getting out of bed. Matt had been out at a strip club with Riggins and had not gotten his messages. Coach shuttles them both home safely, and after seeing Matt's grandmother to bed lays into Matt, in another poweful scene, "What is going on with you? You are letting everyone down. Your team, your grandmother!"


Matt to Coach Taylor: "You left me for the TMU job, your daughter left me for another guy, my father left me to fight a damn war!"


"What's wrong with me? Why does everybody leave me?"

Finally, Tyra continues to question her feelings for Landry, that are intensified by jealousy. In the end Landry gets the girl, but does he win?


With only one show remaining, I am very saddened that the ratings continue to decline for this incredible show, and I fear for it's future. My hope is that a cable network picks up this show if it is not renewed by NBC next season. Perhaps that would be a better fit for a show that requires an investment, and demands your attention. I for one, will continue to champion this show. I'd hate to think next week could be goodbye.

No comments: