Apple iTunes

Talkin all things American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With The Stars and other QUALITY Reality and Drama TV!

Monday, December 31, 2007

Top 10 Favorite American Idol Performances of 2007


I am sure I will ruffle some feathers with this one! It's unconventional I admit.

This was really tough. My goal was to find the most memorable performances in a season that was a bit lackluster overall. Maybe it wasn’t the contestants fault? Maybe it was a result of too much focus on the mentors? Either way, here are MY favorite performances...starting it off at 10:

10) Sanjaya Malakar – Audition:
I was a big fan of Sanjayas’ in the beginning. He was the kind of contestant we all love. Big potential, shy, great smile! OK it didn’t work out like we expected, but I still loved his audition!



9) Sundance Head – Audition:
Sundance not making the Top 12 was one of the first things wrong with Season 6. His song selections during the Top 24 weren’t great, and his nerves seemed to get the best of him, but come on America! Big mistake letting him fall away to lesser vocalists. This is a singing competition after all!



8) Blake Lewis – You Give Love a Bad Name:
I was never really a fan of Blake’s vocals, but I loved how he contemporized this song. He took a huge risk on this one and it paid off!



7) Taylor Hicks – Finale – Heaven Knows:
Taylor was an early favorite of mine in AI5, but lost some luster for me during the competition, and in the end was not my favorite to win. However, when he came out during this years finale it occurred to me how mediocre this season had been compared to Season 5. His “whiskey tenor” was in great vocal voice! In my opinion, we did not have one single guy this year whose vocals were even close to the depth of either Taylor or Elliott from Season 5.



6) Jordin Sparks – Final 2 - Broken Wing:
A flawless vocal. This performance during the Final Two was even better than the first time she performed it.



5) Hollywood – Chris Sligh, Blake Lewis, Rudy Cardenas, Tom Lowe:
You throw four guys together, a little older than many of the contestants, with professional experience performing in bands and you get THIS in Hollywood. It was a show-stopper!



4) Melinda Doolittle – My Funny Valentine:
I loved this song when Constantine performed it in Season 4. Melinda’s version had a completely different feel. After it was all said and done, this remained my favorite performance of hers.



3) Chris Sligh – Audition – Kiss From a Rose:
I had the same reaction to Chris’ audition as Paula. He gave me goosebumps and he had so much potential, but unfortunately he never quite lived up to it. At least not in the context of this show. He was definitely my favorite going into this year.



2) Jordin Sparks – I Who Have Nothing:
This performance I believe put Jordin in the drivers seat for Season 6. It became her competition to lose. This was the season of the ladies and Jordin showed us the most growth, and this was her turning point for me!



1) Jordin Sparks – This Is My Now:
This is what it’s all about isn’t it? Changing someones life forever? It is for me. I admit it's a bit cheesy. Jordin made it through this song with so much emotion, after winning, it still brings me to tears!



Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melinda Doolittle's Debut Album Coming Back to You Drops 2/3/2009. It promises to be an eclectic mix of blues, classic R&B and jazz. Listen to her Single “It’s Your Love” at http://myspace.com/MelindaDoolittle

The first single, “It’s Your Love” has been released to radio. Soon, you will be able to pre-order her album at MelindaDoolittle.com

Keep updated about Melinda's career at www.melindasbackups.com

melindasbackups.com is a web site owned by Melinda Doolittle. Melinda’s Backups™ is a non-profit supportive association inspired by Melinda and authorized by her to operate this web site on behalf of her fans.

I am one of her backups (fans) and can truly say that not only is Melinda hugely talented but she is also exceptionally kind and gracious.
Melinda Doolittle official website www.melindadooolittle.com